Friday, November 26, 2010

El Día de Acción de Gracias

My family, my friends, my time here... I have so many things to be thankful for.

Although Thanksgiving this year was unlike any I have experienced before, it was incredible in its own way.  The day started off just like any other. I woke up at 7, went to class, ate lunch, went to the gym. You really couldn't tell that it was a holiday at all. Around 4 though, things started to change. After a short skype session with my family, friends arrived and we began to get ready. Around 5 we walked to the school where we boarded a bus. The bus drove us out of San José (which took a surprising amount of time in the rush hour traffic) and up a very large mountain. At the top of the mountain, the bus stopped and we entered a beautifully decorated restaurant (which, in 1900, was the home and chapel of an elite family). Inside, staff attired in 19th century French monk frocks hurried around preparing a traditional Thanksgiving meal for us. Waiting for our turkey and mashed potatoes, we wandered the premises taking in the glittering night lights of San José.




The food was delicious and the company was excellent. It may have been different, but it was, nevertheless, a Thanksgiving to remember.

And of course there was pumpkin pie!
(though it wasn't nearly as good as yours, Uncle Michael)

No comments:

Post a Comment